Celebrating 60 Years In Business

City Lock & Safe Ltd was founded in 1957, and has established itself as one of the North West's leading Locksmiths and suppliers of security products.

Originally in the centre of Manchester, the business relocated to Stockport in 1972. Still under family ownership, the company employs many long standing skilled people.

City Lock & Safe Ltd, provide a wide range of Security Equipment and Services to secure all types of properties including Residential Homes and Businesses from Commercial and Industrial to Metropolitan & County Councils, NHS Trusts, Police Authorities and Blue Chip Companies.

Over the years the company has, whilst still investing in it's future, seen many changes such as :-

A NEW SHOWROOM - with an emphasis on product presentation giving an 'Easy-Buy' environment for the customer.

NEW WORKSHOP- key cutting and lock repairs.

MASTER KEY DEPT- with specialised systems for MUL-T-LOCK, EVVA, G.P.I. with and a complete computerised record system.

SAFE SHOWROOM - featuring SECURIKEY & SMP FREESTANDING & UNDERFLOOR MODELS.

OFFICE - fully computerised incorporating full liason with sales, purchases, counter and master keyed systems.

After almost 60 years in business, City Lock and Safe pride themselves in :-

  • Good Staff

  • Hard Work

  • Personal Service

  • Quality Workmanship

  • Company Presentation, but most importantly

  • A Fair Deal for All Customers


Company History

City Lock and Safe Ltd is one of the premier locksmith, safe engineer and security companies in the north west of England. Founded in 1957 by Ray Clarke, the business was formed initially in 1870 in Manchester, latterly trading as G.W.Wilkinson Locksmiths and Whitesmiths. It was there, under the guidance of Mr Wilkinson, that Ray served his apprenticeships. Following the death of Mr Wilkinson in 1955 Ray, then aged 20, ran the business until 1957 when he purchased the company.

In 1966, Ray opened a branch in Stockport, where he had studied at the Technical College. Ray closed the Manchester office and workshops in 1972 and established new premises, initially at 19 Buxton Road and then having out-grown those premises, at present location at 33 Buxton Road. At this time the new motorway connections linking Stockport, enabled the company to service its many contract clients throughout the North West.

During 1976 Ray’s son Tom joined the company, and, like his father, spent the first four years ‘on the bench’ learning the trade, followed by three years as a service engineer gaining further ‘hands on experience’. Tom then progressed to Sales and Marketing, and in 1989 was appointed Managing Director. Tom continues in the role today, having now bought the business from his father. Ray continues to call in, but chose to retire in 2007 after 50 years in business.

Two of Ray’s first apprentices were Harry Handford and Neville Hough. Harry unfortunately passed away in 2006 having recently retired. In 2013, Neville also retired, after serving for 50 years. Like Ray, Neville still calls in and is a close friend of the company.

Tom is also assisted by his two sisters. Belinda joined the company in 1976 as Secretary and now controls Sales Ledger and Special Orders. Annali joined in 1989, and is now Company Secretary in charge of finances and Purchase ledger.

Tom has developed the business, creating a new showroom and workshops. The Master Key Systems element to the business has been greatly enhanced. In 2007 Tom achieved his Diploma from the Guild of Architectural Ironmongers and has since established ‘Pinnacle Hardware’, now an integral part of the business supplying Architectural Ironmongery.

In September 2005 Tom’s son George joined the company, serving his apprenticeship under the guidance of Tom and his grandfather Ray, as well as long-serving employee Neville Hough.

Beginning initially in the workshop and Master Keys Systems, moving into the service department and now playing an important role in traditional sales and online sales, becoming involved in new technology and developing his own customer base.

In 2005, City Lock & Safe established ‘Euro Safes’, the online buying arm for Safes and Data cabinets. This advance into website sales has led to the company exporting safes and security hardware throughout Europe and beyond.

Computers were introduced many years ago to assist in sales and administration. Fax machines, and mobile phone technology, which at the time were cutting-edge, were quickly adopted, though by today’s standards they seem almost antiquated.

Today, there are microchip keys and wireless cylinders, with the ability to be opened by key fobs, key cards, and now by mobile phone.

Keys and cylinders can record every operation to provide audit trails of user’s access. Yet this technology still combines with a lock case on a door: the company knows the value in deadlock security!

The company has recently been accredited as a Yale Doormaster and Yale Expert Centre, serving the public with the ever-increasing replacement of traditional doors by PVCu products.

City Lock & Safe has also developed an invaluable next-day replacement service of all types of coded keys under ‘Keys Express’.

The company is a member of the Master Locksmiths’ Association, Guild of Architectural Ironmongery and Constructionline. The wealth of knowledge and expertise supplied by these employees means that City Lock & Safe Ltd is exceptional in its understanding of the complexity of all types of locks and safes. With its roots firmly established in Stockport, but with its horizons broadened to new and existing clients at home and abroad, City Lock & Safe Ltd, continues to invest in the future of both itself and its customers.


Trusted for Security Since 1957